Skip to main content

A Conversation With #JaxMiller author of #Freedom'sChild About Process and Influence



GENERAL:

How did you start writing? 
I actually found my passion for writing in a counselor’s office while I was living in Kentucky. I was seeing an older, conservative man who’d cringe every time I said the F word in his office so he encouraged me to journal (which I found very soon after I loathed, not seeing a point in documenting the very things I wanted to get away from). I believe this was his attempt to not have to hear me. So instead, I wrote a gritty, fictional piece that I knew he’d hate. Imagine my surprise when he leaned over and said “That was the best ****ing thing I ever read.” I haven’t stopped since.

How did you find yourself on the Eastern Shore of Virginia?
I was born and raised in New York. My grandparents met while working at the World Trade Center, married, retired and moved down to the Shore in 1990 (when I was 5). My sister and I would spend our summers there every year where we have our best childhood memories. When I was 21, I moved back down there to live with my grandmother (Babchi). Both my grandparents are deceased now, but Freedom’s Child is dedicated to them.

Something funny: After my grandmother passed, I found the very first story I wrote (I was eight years old and had to do it for school). It’s titled “When I Went to Virginia” and was also dedicated to the same people, my grandparents. Who knows… maybe my great grandkids can sell it on E-bay one day. I like to joke that it’s the prequel to my most recent novel, which takes place on the shore.


Describe your writing process, for you does it begin with character, plot? Both?
I’m the poster child for binge writing, if ever there were such a term. I can go weeks without writing or write 50 pages in a day. I definitely write characters with no real story in mind, they lead the way. Truly. I’m just as surprised when my character is, I really have no direction, but I think that’s the appeal.


How long did you work on Freedom's Child?
Freedom’s Child was a side fling while I worked on my first novel, The Assassin’s Keeper, one that’d never see the light of day but got me nominated for the 2013 Debut Dagger with the Crime Writers’ Association in London. I’d write Freedom here and there on napkins and scraps. I started it several years ago, but kept it in a drawer. After I moved to Ireland and picked it back up, I had it finished in a couple of months, all but the last chapter (though I knew exactly how it was going to end). I just didn’t want to finish my relationship with Freedom. So between the time I started and the time I finished, it was four years. If I put all my attention to it, I would have had it done in a matter of weeks.

The action in Freedom's Child is over-the-top, almost Tarantino-esque, including plenty of non-PC dialogue and characterization. What kind of films, books, comics, manga, video games, and music do you find inspiring?
I hear that a lot, and it’s funny because my main source for writing actually is film (I’m a self proclaimed film buff). When in need for inspiration, I go to the movies. I was very inspired by the dialogue of Frank Miller (I’m as much a comic/graphic novel fan as a film buff). Tarantino and Scorsese are my personal favorites, and I did draw a lot from them (Tarantino is my source for why I love to write out of chronological order). I also found inspiration, especially for setting, from the likes of TV shows, like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy. It should also be noted that my favorite scene in the novel, the desert scene, was totally inspired by Natural Born Killers.

All of the women in novel, with the exception of Carol, are independent, head-strong women, not necessarily nice people (Lynn, for example) did you model these characters after any one in particular? Where did these characters come from?
I think every single character I write is a smaller piece of me: Freedom (the main character) reflects my pain and my walk with God. People tend to be offended by the language and violence and so they’re surprised when I tell them that the novel is nothing short of a woman’s walk with God. Like my own, Freedom’s is rocky and filled with anger, it isn’t candy-coated. But, we have a story of trying to find salvation and redemption in a world where we’d made so many terrible mistakes. So in that sense, we’re very alike.

Mimi, the neighbor with dementia, represents my sanity. Passion, the prostitute and Freedom’s best friend, represents what I wanted in a friend. Lynn, the 600 pound, cocaine dealing mother of the group of villains, represents my feelings of losing control. Even the incredibly meek and submissive Carol represents the frustration of having to bite my tongue and oppression.

My characters are certainly over the top, more like caricatures. I think, because so much of this book stems from my encounters with addiction and grief, it’s my way of coping. To make all these people over the top somehow lessens my own struggles. I think I’ve made them all head-strong and independent in their own ways because that’s how I want to be.

What was the most challenging part of the novel for you to write? How did you get through it/over that hump?‘The End.’ I realize to the non-writer this might sound a little crazy, but Freedom Oliver (the story’s anti-hero/protagonist) was seemingly my only companion during many times of loneliness and grief for me. I knew exactly what the last chapter was going to be. In fact, I won’t start a novel until I have the end scene in my head because it helps me to know where to aim my story, as I tend to go on tangents. But I didn’t want to sever that tie between Freedom and I, I knew I’d miss her. In the end, I whipped out the last chapter and sent it out to a friend who sent it to a friend. Within 24 hours, I had a two-book contract. It’s since sold in 16 countries and optioned for a film.


What's next for Freedom? I smell a series of books about this character. 
Haha. As of now, I have no intentions of bringing Freedom back to life. HOWEVER, I’m just wrapping up book two and already starting book three, which brings back a minor character from Freedom’s Child and turns him into the main narrative. Not sure if Freedom might get a cameo, we’ll see! Like I said, I have no direction, so I’m just as surprised about these things as the reader is.


Tell us about the crime group you belong to in Ireland? Is it a writing club? How structured is it? How did that group influence you?
We’re a group of criminals living in Ireland. KIDDING! I think people don’t realize that the writing community, both abroad and in the states, is a very small community. We’ve all become acquainted pretty quickly, some of us do monthly meetings in Dublin where we read recently-written pieces and get feedback over copious amounts of tea. Mainly, it’s about support. The crime writing community in Dublin and London is wonderful with lifting one another up.

Moving to Ireland, an unheard of writer, I was honored to be taken under the wings of some great Irish novelists and bestsellers who saw potential in me. It really opened a lot of doors for me.

You're a bit like Jimi Hendrix, finding fame abroad before finding it in the US. How does it feel to an author abroad? Is it any different? Ireland’s a small country, much like a big small-town. In America, where it’s so big and there are so many more people vying for book deals, it’s a lot more dog-eat-dog of a world. I honestly don’t think I would have been published if I tried pitching it around American publishers because I’m one out of a million like me. I think part of the appeal in Ireland and the UK was the fact that my writing was so American, and so it was a little set apart: It had cowboys and Indians and all that American culture that they just don’t have.


Did living on the Eastern Shore influence your writing in any way? How?The Eastern Shore actually did not inspire too much of Freedom’s Child, but for naming the fictional town in Oregon ‘Painter,’ only because I liked the name. However, I’m just wrapping up book two of my contract, which takes place on the Eastern Shore. See the question below.

Any plans on writing the Shore into a novel?
Book two’s working title is This Neck of The Woods. It takes place in the early 90’s in a fictionalized representation of Hacks Neck in the made-up Pungo County, VA. It’s the story of the 14 year old daughter of an accused serial killer. In an attempt to avoid having to go into foster care, she runs into the arms of her father’s best friend Javier Morales, a drug lord of the Mexican Cartel.

The setting is based in Virginia, only I’ve added layers of the Mexican Cartel (including a Day of the Dead parade), seedy cops, made up places (factories and haunted house attractions) and my typical caricatures. Oh, and of course, lots of crab cakes. Because nothing says the Eastern Shore like good ol’ crab cakes. There are no words to describe how much I miss the Shore’s crab cakes.


What advice would you give authors who are trying to break through with their novel?Don’t follow any advice. I think it’s important in writing to dance to the beat of your own drum.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Poetry Reading in Rehoboth

If anyone's interested in a mid-summer run to Rehoboth's outlet malls, consider Tuesday, July 27th, and stop by the Rehoboth Beach Librar y for the summer poetry series. Besides moi, Denise Clemmons, poet and food critic for the Cape Gazette, and Sherry Chapplle, poet and professor. Excellent company. Books will be for sale afterwards. It's a quality series, and full of surprises. Garry Hanna has done a bang-up job organizing the summer series. Bring a few quarters to ward off the meter maid. Reading starts at 7:00 PM.

#PresidentBannon, feudal #America. Dugin's influence on the White House

Op Ed. Ramble. Steve Bannon is often described as a Neo-Nazi, or just a Nazi. He really isn’t. That’s way too simple.  He knows his Nazi imagery and iconography, evident from the “America First” inauguration speech, the lingo of the campaign, plus the regime’s early policy. Bannon claims to be a Nationalist, one with an originalist view of the Constitution, much like Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s pick for SCOTUS.  So what do you get when you thread a Fascism fetish, Old-School Constitutional thinking, and capitalism?   American feudalism. A loose federal government, controlled by a strong military, the oligarchy ruling class lording over the spoils of the states which would possibly be recombined, even, into loose nations, pooling resources, and trade leverage. Dystopia schmopia.  And how would that even happen?   We’ll have to go through Russia to get there. If you’re just catching onto Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller for that matter, two power hungry conservatives ru

Common Core Standards and Urban Decay Inspire First Poem for 30/30 May

This May I will be giving my time to write 30 new poems for Tupelo Press, which is in the throes of raising money via crowd-sourcing for new projects. They are non profit. Grants remain at recession lows. So, this morning as I met with my graduating seniors during their one on one conference (we discuss plans for success, grades, papers, attendance, etc) I pulled up Common Core Apps while waiting for a senior to fetch his book for his book report. The app is Common Curriculum , a cool lesson plan and web posting service. For some reason the idea struck to adopt some of the standards for a United States of Poetry--which sounded dystopian and Orwellian to my ears. So I mashed up some made up standards with some urban decay riffs. The urban decay riffs will need tweaking as they don't really strike any new visual ground, but rather cull standard tropes together. The made-up Common Core riffs are meta, and will also need to be made consistent. There is obvious commentary about CC