Skip to main content

Nina Bennett makes Sound Effects



Field Recordings welcomes Broadkill poet, Nina Bennett to the internet wilds. Nina shares the same small press home as I do, the very kind and suave Broadkill Press, an imprint of The Broadkill River Press, and The Broadkill Review. Nina's launching her book on Sunday Sep 29 at the Arden Craft Shop Museum, in Arden DE, from 1-4. As usual links are peppered throughout. Nina is also a member of a writing group, which has a home here.

Name: Nina Bennett

Pen Name: N/A

Most recent title published: Sound Effects

Where do you write?
Most of my writing starts in a spiral-bound notebook before it gets anywhere near the computer. I find it easier to write at home than at a local coffee shop. I do a great deal of writing when I am out of town-hotel rooms and airports. I’ve been known to write on napkins in bars.

What are your rituals with regards to writing (ex: Must have tea, a cat on the lap, etc)
Music-60s rock.

Describe your writing process:
Most drafts start in my head, while I am in my car. It may be a song title, lyric, or a line that I just can’t get out of my brain, so eventually I give in and start writing.

What do you when you begin to revise? What's the first thing you do during that process?
I look at nouns and verbs. A wonderful exercise I learned in a workshop with Molly Fisk is to make a list of all the nouns in your poem, then list substitutes. Then do the same thing with verbs. Push yourself to find the strongest nouns and verbs. Don’t walk-sprint, sashay, prance-but don’t walk. Get rid of adverbs and adjectives. Get rid of as many “and” and “the” words as possible.

When revising, how many drafts do you go through before you feel comfortable with the final product?
At least 10

When arranging lines for your poems, what do you consider at the micro level-- about the line? (For
example...I never end a line on the word “and” etc.)
powerful end words, internal/slant rhyme

As a poet, whose music, or voice, sometimes do you hear as you write or revise?
Jim Morrison

How would you classify your poetry? Are you a lyric poet? A Romantic? A Surrealist?
Narrative poetry, poetry of loss

What poets are you currently reading?
Joan Colby, Jack Coulehan, Tony Goeggler

What poets/poems do you strongly recommend a reader to discover?
Contemporary female poets: Molly Fisk, Ellen Bass, Diane Lockward, Kimmy Beach, Daisy Fried, Erin Belieu, Kim Addonizio, Bobbi Lurie, Erika Meitner, Denise Duhamel

The contemporary American poetic tradition is elegy, do you discover elegiac qualities among your own writing as a whole? Are you a poet of loss?
I think there are many elegiac elements in my poems, and I am most certainly a poet of loss.

Where does your inspiration come from (music, film, other books)?
Music, the 60s, not-so-current events, family

What is your literary guilty pleasure? (trashy sci-fi adventures, bad romance novels, 50 Shades, fanfic, etc.)
True crime

Explain how your local and regional environment influences your writing, your process, and your product (in other words, how does your reality intersect with the worlds that you create?):
Interesting question. I’ve been reading the series in Poets and Writers on this topic, and my local/regional environment doesn’t resonate with me at all. I live in Delaware, in the upstate suburban sprawl part of the state. I don’t consider myself to be a city poet, or a beach poet. Actually, my Mid-Atlantic regional environment influences my writing in the sense that I do my best writing when I travel away from the Northeast.

You have to invite three authors to dinner, who are they? Why?
I would never be able to sit through a meal with 3 people, but I’ll be a good sport and answer. Leonard Cohen, because I could listen to his voice forever. Will Schwalbe, because he’s not afraid to talk about death.

Favorite title (you wish you had come up with): I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl (Karyna McGlynn). Isn’t that a delicious title? How could you walk past a book with a title like that?

Line(s) you wish you wrote: Too many to quote

Book you did not read in high school but now have read and have an appreciation for: And why:
Being oppositional-defiant, I am going to answer in the reverse. I read the classics in high school and wish I hadn’t used my time that way. Heresy, I know! Please don’t throw things at me.

Favorite words: jasmine, fuschia, riff, iridescent,

Least favorite words: last call

Advice you would like to pass on to other writers:
Read. Read. Read. Then read some more.

What you would discuss with your pet if your pet could talk:
Ah-the point of having a pet is that they don’t talk! My secrets are safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Poetry Reading in Rehoboth

If anyone's interested in a mid-summer run to Rehoboth's outlet malls, consider Tuesday, July 27th, and stop by the Rehoboth Beach Librar y for the summer poetry series. Besides moi, Denise Clemmons, poet and food critic for the Cape Gazette, and Sherry Chapplle, poet and professor. Excellent company. Books will be for sale afterwards. It's a quality series, and full of surprises. Garry Hanna has done a bang-up job organizing the summer series. Bring a few quarters to ward off the meter maid. Reading starts at 7:00 PM.

#PresidentBannon, feudal #America. Dugin's influence on the White House

Op Ed. Ramble. Steve Bannon is often described as a Neo-Nazi, or just a Nazi. He really isn’t. That’s way too simple.  He knows his Nazi imagery and iconography, evident from the “America First” inauguration speech, the lingo of the campaign, plus the regime’s early policy. Bannon claims to be a Nationalist, one with an originalist view of the Constitution, much like Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s pick for SCOTUS.  So what do you get when you thread a Fascism fetish, Old-School Constitutional thinking, and capitalism?   American feudalism. A loose federal government, controlled by a strong military, the oligarchy ruling class lording over the spoils of the states which would possibly be recombined, even, into loose nations, pooling resources, and trade leverage. Dystopia schmopia.  And how would that even happen?   We’ll have to go through Russia to get there. If you’re just catching onto Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller for that matter, two power hungry conservatives ru

Common Core Standards and Urban Decay Inspire First Poem for 30/30 May

This May I will be giving my time to write 30 new poems for Tupelo Press, which is in the throes of raising money via crowd-sourcing for new projects. They are non profit. Grants remain at recession lows. So, this morning as I met with my graduating seniors during their one on one conference (we discuss plans for success, grades, papers, attendance, etc) I pulled up Common Core Apps while waiting for a senior to fetch his book for his book report. The app is Common Curriculum , a cool lesson plan and web posting service. For some reason the idea struck to adopt some of the standards for a United States of Poetry--which sounded dystopian and Orwellian to my ears. So I mashed up some made up standards with some urban decay riffs. The urban decay riffs will need tweaking as they don't really strike any new visual ground, but rather cull standard tropes together. The made-up Common Core riffs are meta, and will also need to be made consistent. There is obvious commentary about CC