Skip to main content

Jeremiah Walton, a poet on the road and at work, one of Gatsby's Abandoned Children






Field Reoordings welcomes Jeremiah Walton to the internet wilds. Walton (above--performing on the Beantown streets) is hard at work, promoting poetry, poets, and working on his own craft. Links to his blog, his projects, his free work, and his video performances are included throughout.

Name: Jeremiah Walton

Pen Name: Jeremiah Walton

Most recent title published:Smile W/ Sparks (of a shotgun shot) from W.I.S.H. Publishing


Where do you write?

I write pretty much anywhere. Most of my poems stem from conversation with others, or conversations others are having. I do a lot of people watching.

I also like writing under bridges, and on other public property walls.

I post poems and travelogues to Gatsby’s Abandoned Children.


What are your rituals with regards to writing (ex: Must have tea, a cat on the lap, etc)

I don’t have a particular ritual besides obsession. I’m almost constantly working on a publishing project, writing, organizing manuscripts, and all that wonderful jazz that comes with poetry.


Tell us about your new book. What themes are you exploring?

Smile W/ Sparks (of a shotgun shot) focuses on my experiences with friends, getting drunk on the tracks, chasing trains, going to shows, and all the weird adventures we would go on.

It’s a testimony to my home, I realized recently, as my friends have all started moving off with their lives, and diverging from where we grew up.

It can be read free online from the publisher.


What were some of the challenges gathering the collection?

I’m haphazard with my collections. I usually look over my writing from the past couple months, decided what fits together and what doesn’t, begin organizing it into a (relatively) themed book, and go from there.


Describe your writing process:

It happens. I don’t have any control over when an idea hits me. I have something to record ideas on me at all times. Rarely do I sit down and force myself to write anymore. I look for poetry in everything around me.


What do you do when you begin to revise? What's the first thing you do during that process?

I read it out loud to myself, and make edits as I go where I don’t feel it flows well, or conveys what I’m trying to say. My favorite thing to do when revising poems is take a rough draft to a slam or open mic. It makes me more conscious of what I’m saying when I have an audience. I usually get off stage, and immediately begin re-writing.



When revising, how many drafts do you go through before you feel comfortable with the final product?

I have no idea. None of my poems are ever done. I just tweak and edit when I feel it’s appropriate.


When arranging lines for your poems, what do you consider at the micro level-- about the line? (For example...I never end a line on the word “and” etc.)

I don’t know, I usually just write as it comes to me, transitioning from line to line. I guess it would be punctuation. I use periods and commas in most of my poems to pace it.


As a poet, whose music, or voice, sometimes do you hear as you write or revise?

I don’t particular hear any voices when re-vising. I do find myself writing homage to Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Allen Ginsberg sometimes though. I really dig their work, especially Lawrence’s. I love how he went beyond just writing poetry, and was an activist for creativity.


How would you classify your poetry? Are you a lyric poet? A Romantic? A Surrealist?

I write for Gatsby’s Abandoned Children (which means something, I believe). Other than that, I use imagery like I’m addicted and humping paper in great spurts of orgasmic foaming-of-the-mouth poems that provoke me into writing more poems.


What poets are you currently reading? What is the state of American poetry, in your opinion?

The poetic community is a Chinese finger trap with two middle fingers trying to break boundaries, and failing miserably. The middle fingers are slam and academic.

Steven Roggenbuck is succeeding where thousands are failing. He’s innovating poetry for the 21st century, writing for this time.

I’ve found myself reading less and less due to my time being devoured and digested by the projects I have going on. I’ve bitten off more than I can fit in my mouth, but I’ll cram it in there one way or another.

For the most part, I read submission to UndergroundBooks, W.I.S.H. Publishing, The Traveling Poet, and Nostrovia! Poetry, which has put me in contact with some damn amazing writers.


What poets/poems do you strongly recommend a reader to discover?

Steven Roggenbuck, Felino A. Soriano, James Browning Kepple, James Chang, Matthew Moseman, The Plastic Clown, Kim Göransson, and a good chunk of the Beats.


The contemporary American poetic tradition is elegy, do you discover elegiac qualities among your own writing as a whole? Are you a poet of loss?

I’m a poet of people, and sometimes people are saddening.


Where does your inspiration come from (music, film, other books)?

People watching and creeping along sidewalks of city streets, listening to the conversations of others, observing the lethargy and rush, conversations in movies, the prose and poetry of the Beats, drugs, the internet, strange occurrences, Reddit, love, my frustrating love for humans.

It all comes to people peopling, and I want to trap the voice of humanity on the page.

I keep a quote book of odd and humorous things my friends and people I know say. I record the quote in a notebook, titled Context Not Included. I’ve dug up some great ideas from re-reading the quotes from the past year.


Explain how your local and regional environment influences your writing, your process, and your product (in other words, how does your reality intersect with the worlds that you create?):

Manchester, N.H., you influenced my poems for 18 years, and the road and traveling followed your trickles of musings, and now Erie, P.A., is kicking me in the balls, and I am kicking right back, aiming for the entire community, hoping to kindle a storm of creative arts that will take to the streets and drag painters and poets and playwrights and all artists out their doors and away from the televisions and time-filling devices that cradle us safe.


You have to invite three authors to dinner, who are they? Why?

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac.

Because we’ll leave dinner to walk around town and talk about living and go live and live a poem, and then write that poem.

Though I fear Jack may be a dick. I’m not sure though.


Favorite title (you wish you had come up with):

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?


Line(s) you wish you wrote:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn burnburn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars."


Book you did not read in high school but now have read and have an appreciation for: And why:

Just exited high school. I guess I haven’t experienced this yet.


Favorite words:

“I” (sadly)


Least favorite words:

“Surrender”


Advice you would like to pass on to other writers:

“Write
write
write
do not burn out!”


What you would discuss with your pet if your pet could talk:

“Stop staring at me when I eat.”
“No.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Poetry Reading in Rehoboth

If anyone's interested in a mid-summer run to Rehoboth's outlet malls, consider Tuesday, July 27th, and stop by the Rehoboth Beach Librar y for the summer poetry series. Besides moi, Denise Clemmons, poet and food critic for the Cape Gazette, and Sherry Chapplle, poet and professor. Excellent company. Books will be for sale afterwards. It's a quality series, and full of surprises. Garry Hanna has done a bang-up job organizing the summer series. Bring a few quarters to ward off the meter maid. Reading starts at 7:00 PM.

#PresidentBannon, feudal #America. Dugin's influence on the White House

Op Ed. Ramble. Steve Bannon is often described as a Neo-Nazi, or just a Nazi. He really isn’t. That’s way too simple.  He knows his Nazi imagery and iconography, evident from the “America First” inauguration speech, the lingo of the campaign, plus the regime’s early policy. Bannon claims to be a Nationalist, one with an originalist view of the Constitution, much like Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s pick for SCOTUS.  So what do you get when you thread a Fascism fetish, Old-School Constitutional thinking, and capitalism?   American feudalism. A loose federal government, controlled by a strong military, the oligarchy ruling class lording over the spoils of the states which would possibly be recombined, even, into loose nations, pooling resources, and trade leverage. Dystopia schmopia.  And how would that even happen?   We’ll have to go through Russia to get there. If you’re just catching onto Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller for that matter, two power hungry conservatives ru

Common Core Standards and Urban Decay Inspire First Poem for 30/30 May

This May I will be giving my time to write 30 new poems for Tupelo Press, which is in the throes of raising money via crowd-sourcing for new projects. They are non profit. Grants remain at recession lows. So, this morning as I met with my graduating seniors during their one on one conference (we discuss plans for success, grades, papers, attendance, etc) I pulled up Common Core Apps while waiting for a senior to fetch his book for his book report. The app is Common Curriculum , a cool lesson plan and web posting service. For some reason the idea struck to adopt some of the standards for a United States of Poetry--which sounded dystopian and Orwellian to my ears. So I mashed up some made up standards with some urban decay riffs. The urban decay riffs will need tweaking as they don't really strike any new visual ground, but rather cull standard tropes together. The made-up Common Core riffs are meta, and will also need to be made consistent. There is obvious commentary about CC