Skip to main content

Sally Zakariya has Insectomania



Field Recordings welcomes Sally Zakariya out of her internet wilderness into our wilderness. The fields mellow into gold around here, and the Indian Summer has settled to stay upon our fields and backroads. Welcome and explore. Links to Zakariya's work is peppered throughout.

Name:
Sally Zakariya

Pen Name: none, but thinking …

Most recent title published:
Insectomania (2013) and Arithmetic and other verses (2011), both from Richer Resources Publications, an independent publisher that specializes in translations of Greek and Roman classics but has recently added a poetry line.

Where do you write?
In my guest room/study, on an antique desk that was my grandfather’s.

What are your rituals with regards to writing (ex: Must have tea, a cat on the lap, etc.) Must spend a few minutes staring blankly out the window. Must have coffee. Must not let cat jump on keyboard, which can result in odd words.

Describe your writing process:
A poem usually begins with a single line or phrase that I fixate on before I go to sleep. I keep a pad and pen next to the bed, plus a little book light so I’ll be able to read what I scribble in the dark. This process works in revision, too—I’ll recite new lines to myself and jot down ideas that occur in the half-there state before I fall asleep. This can result in insomnia, but I think it helps my poems.

What do you when you begin to revise? What's the first thing you do during that process? The first step in revision is reading the poem aloud (quietly) over and over and noting glitches in sound and cadence. Then I look at line breaks. I print out the revision and keep a copy with me to read over while I’m fixing dinner or whatever. Usually at this point I spot things that simply don’t belong—a belabored metaphor, lines that really should be in another poem, and so on. And then I put the poem away in a “draft folder” and move on to something else. Some poems never make it out of the draft folder, some I revisit a number of times, and a few need just a few tweaks to graduate.

When revising, how many drafts do you go through before you feel comfortable with the final product? I typically go through at least 4 or 5 drafts and sometimes more, sometimes changing just one or two words. Sometimes axing whole chunks. Sometimes rearranging lines.

When arranging lines for your poems, what do you consider at the micro level about the line? (For example...I never end a line on the word “and” etc.) I think it’s important to (almost always) end a line on a strong word, whether the lines are enjambed or not. Because I pay attention to cadence (as opposed to formal meter), I don’t want a line to end on an auxiliary sort of word, like “in,” “and” “the,” etc. I also like to keep lines reasonably short—maybe because I’m an ex-smoker and short of breath.

As a poet, whose music, or voice, sometimes do you hear as you write or revise?
My husband, who’s a little deaf, plays classical music in his studio, directly below mine, so I’m often writing to a background of Beethoven, Mozart, Biber, etc.

How would you classify your poetry? Are you a lyric poet? A Romantic? A Surrealist?
None of the above—in fact, I have no idea how to classify my poetry, but people tell me it’s accessible and has layers of meaning.

What poets are you currently reading?
Philip Levine, Li-Young Lee, Sharon Olds, and Michael Dickman

What poets/poems do you strongly recommend a reader to discover?
I hesitate to recommend—everyone’s taste is different. I just suggest reading voraciously.

The contemporary American poetic tradition is elegy. Do you discover elegiac qualities among your own writing as a whole? Are you a poet of loss?
Any poet my age is a poet of loss, so I would have to say there are elegiac qualities in many of my poems.

Where does your inspiration come from (music, film, other books)?
My inspirations are primarily words—snatches of conversation overheard, phrases I’ve read, “creative mishearings”—and nature. I’m big on birds and insects.

What is your literary guilty pleasure? (trashy sci-fi adventures, bad romance novels, 50 Shades, fanfic, etc.) Murder mysteries by the bushel, especially if they’re from cold Northern places.

Explain how your local and regional environment influences your writing, your process, and your product (in other words, how does your reality intersect with the worlds that you create?): For the most part, my reality pretty much reflects the reality around me, but I do sometimes write poems that inhabit some sort of dream space.

You have to invite three authors to dinner, who are they? Why?
Whoever I’m reading at the time, so I can ask them the same kind of questions you’re asking me.

Favorite title (you wish you had come up with):
“Days in the History of Silence” – a novel by Merethe Lindstrom (I haven’t read it but plan to, on the basis of the title alone)

Line(s) you wish you wrote:
Memory revises me. (from “Furious Versions,” Li-Young Lee)
Book you did not read in high school but now have read and have an appreciation for: And why: Too many to pick from …

Favorite words:
Words that have a crackling, sparking kind of sound.

Least favorite words:
Sappy multisyllabic words that end in –ly.

Advice you would like to pass on to other writers:
Read, think, read, and share your work with others for honest critique.

What you would discuss with your pet if your pet could talk:
I’d talk to my cats about birds—why I write about them, why I’m glad they catch so few.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#PresidentBannon, feudal #America. Dugin's influence on the White House

Op Ed. Ramble. Steve Bannon is often described as a Neo-Nazi, or just a Nazi. He really isn’t. That’s way too simple.  He knows his Nazi imagery and iconography, evident from the “America First” inauguration speech, the lingo of the campaign, plus the regime’s early policy. Bannon claims to be a Nationalist, one with an originalist view of the Constitution, much like Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s pick for SCOTUS.  So what do you get when you thread a Fascism fetish, Old-School Constitutional thinking, and capitalism?   American feudalism. A loose federal government, controlled by a strong military, the oligarchy ruling class lording over the spoils of the states which would possibly be recombined, even, into loose nations, pooling resources, and trade leverage. Dystopia schmopia.  And how would that even happen?   We’ll have to go through Russia to get there. If you’re just catching onto Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller for that matter, two power hungry conservatives ru

Summer Poetry Reading in Rehoboth

If anyone's interested in a mid-summer run to Rehoboth's outlet malls, consider Tuesday, July 27th, and stop by the Rehoboth Beach Librar y for the summer poetry series. Besides moi, Denise Clemmons, poet and food critic for the Cape Gazette, and Sherry Chapplle, poet and professor. Excellent company. Books will be for sale afterwards. It's a quality series, and full of surprises. Garry Hanna has done a bang-up job organizing the summer series. Bring a few quarters to ward off the meter maid. Reading starts at 7:00 PM.

Common Core Standards and Urban Decay Inspire First Poem for 30/30 May

This May I will be giving my time to write 30 new poems for Tupelo Press, which is in the throes of raising money via crowd-sourcing for new projects. They are non profit. Grants remain at recession lows. So, this morning as I met with my graduating seniors during their one on one conference (we discuss plans for success, grades, papers, attendance, etc) I pulled up Common Core Apps while waiting for a senior to fetch his book for his book report. The app is Common Curriculum , a cool lesson plan and web posting service. For some reason the idea struck to adopt some of the standards for a United States of Poetry--which sounded dystopian and Orwellian to my ears. So I mashed up some made up standards with some urban decay riffs. The urban decay riffs will need tweaking as they don't really strike any new visual ground, but rather cull standard tropes together. The made-up Common Core riffs are meta, and will also need to be made consistent. There is obvious commentary about CC