Skip to main content

Shea Garvin Knows Where Night Comes From




Field Recordings welcomes Shea Garvin to the internet wilds. Shea and I share a small press publisher, The Broadkill Press, and his newest, Where Night Comes From, is one of the Key Poetry Series chapbooks published this summer.

Name: Shea Garvin

Pen Name: The same

Most recent title: Where Night Comes From

Where do you write? Everywhere. Bars, Campsites, Airports. I do the revisions at home .

How do you classify yourself as a poet? I don't tend to think in those terms, categorizing. If I was to pick , it would be lyrically surreal and brutally romantic.

The contemporary American "mode" is elegy, where do you find yourself w/r/t to this "tradition"? I do find myself writing about death quite a bit , its a matter of fact sort of thing with me. I mean , we all die and spend vastly more time dead than alive so of course its something to explore.

Do you have any rituals when it comes to writing? Black ink. I can't seem to turn a phrase with a blue pen.

What themes did you explore in this collection? Any challenges in culling them together? This collection covers about 15 years or so of writing, themes? I leave that up to the reader. As far as culling them together, I'd have to thank Jamie Brown for that.

Favorite poem from the collection? Bones and Grit. Its has a rhythm that I'm particularly fond of for readings . It sounds ferocious , almost menacing .


What's your inspiration? Erratic.....There is a quality to certain moments in life that just beg to be described or made art. Think of "Raging Bull" with Robert Deniro, in that movie there is a scene where Deniro is watching his love interest splash her feet in the pool and everything slows down and became a poem. those are the moments that make it i to my notebook. When I feel that heightening of senses , or get that wave of melancholy , all kinds of things can set it off.

Revision process? First thing I do is go through and cross out all of the "the"s . Then I look for cheap trickery and beat it i to shape. Then I scratch out all the ands . Then I put back the "the"s and "ands" I cant live without and see how it lays on the page and how it sounds out loud.

I do't go through too many revisions, I find it stiffens the words.

Who are your inspirations? Saul Williams, Denis Johnson, Tom Waits , Charles Bukowski, Jim Carroll, Robert Frost, Jack Kerouac. I'm sure there's more. It all gets assimilated.

Guilty pleasure(s)? I have a love of bad horror movies. Not the mainstream stuff, but really B studio type stuff.And good Sci-Fi . And I've read just about everything Louis L'Amour wrote. I make no apologies.

You have to invite three authors to dinner, who are they? Why? Cormac McArthy , Stephen King , Bram Stoker. I'd bring McCarthy for the language he carries with him, a true master of making you uncomfortable. Stephen King for his limitless worlds and Stoker just because.

A Line you wish you wrote? Great Big Ugly Man Came Up And Tied His Horse To Me- its a book of nonsense verse illustrated by Wallace Tripp.

Favorite words: ummm

cant think of one , I read everything they threw at us back then. Still have a soft spot for "the Black Pearl" I could just feel the boy's stress when the pearl's inclusion was being cut , after all that, it could have been ruined.

Gesticulate, bifurcate, fuck. The first two are just fun to say, and the last is just so damn useful.

The words i hate I won't write here, but they fall under the umbrella of ignorance.

Advice you'd pass on to other writers: While observing, don't forget to do as well. Live it so you can better understand. Get personal, this is nothing new but I will say it again. The more personal and particular you get , the broader the appeal. Everyone has the same things going on in their lives,even the most trivial of things can be poignant from the right angle.

Never give up, unless you suck and you know it deep down where the truth hides. If that's the case, quit now. Save yourself and those around you from limp prose.

Beatles or the Stones? Elvis or Cash? The Doors and Cash

What you would discuss with your pet if your pet could talk: Um, Where's my boots?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Poetry Reading in Rehoboth

If anyone's interested in a mid-summer run to Rehoboth's outlet malls, consider Tuesday, July 27th, and stop by the Rehoboth Beach Librar y for the summer poetry series. Besides moi, Denise Clemmons, poet and food critic for the Cape Gazette, and Sherry Chapplle, poet and professor. Excellent company. Books will be for sale afterwards. It's a quality series, and full of surprises. Garry Hanna has done a bang-up job organizing the summer series. Bring a few quarters to ward off the meter maid. Reading starts at 7:00 PM.

#PresidentBannon, feudal #America. Dugin's influence on the White House

Op Ed. Ramble. Steve Bannon is often described as a Neo-Nazi, or just a Nazi. He really isn’t. That’s way too simple.  He knows his Nazi imagery and iconography, evident from the “America First” inauguration speech, the lingo of the campaign, plus the regime’s early policy. Bannon claims to be a Nationalist, one with an originalist view of the Constitution, much like Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s pick for SCOTUS.  So what do you get when you thread a Fascism fetish, Old-School Constitutional thinking, and capitalism?   American feudalism. A loose federal government, controlled by a strong military, the oligarchy ruling class lording over the spoils of the states which would possibly be recombined, even, into loose nations, pooling resources, and trade leverage. Dystopia schmopia.  And how would that even happen?   We’ll have to go through Russia to get there. If you’re just catching onto Steve Bannon, and Stephen Miller for that matter, two power hungry conservatives ru

Common Core Standards and Urban Decay Inspire First Poem for 30/30 May

This May I will be giving my time to write 30 new poems for Tupelo Press, which is in the throes of raising money via crowd-sourcing for new projects. They are non profit. Grants remain at recession lows. So, this morning as I met with my graduating seniors during their one on one conference (we discuss plans for success, grades, papers, attendance, etc) I pulled up Common Core Apps while waiting for a senior to fetch his book for his book report. The app is Common Curriculum , a cool lesson plan and web posting service. For some reason the idea struck to adopt some of the standards for a United States of Poetry--which sounded dystopian and Orwellian to my ears. So I mashed up some made up standards with some urban decay riffs. The urban decay riffs will need tweaking as they don't really strike any new visual ground, but rather cull standard tropes together. The made-up Common Core riffs are meta, and will also need to be made consistent. There is obvious commentary about CC